Lesson Plans for Young Learners
Young learners are particularly motivated by this topic.
They are fascinated by the natural world. Remember how you could play for hours by a rock pool or river as a child? This is the way they are.
They are also the one’s who will suffer most from ecological degradation, climate change and species loss, and have more of a motivation to put things right.
Points to bear in mind dealing with this topic with young learners:
- Most important, nurture their fascination with the natural world. Make your lessons lead them to the wonders of the natural world.
- As kinaesthetic learners they love to touch the real thing. Use a small solar panel to set up a classroom experiment, or take them to the local park to do a plant survey. They will love it.
- As visual learners they will love photographic pictures of nature, or wildlife documentaries and of course drawing their own interpretations of the natural world.
- Focus less on the vast problems we face as it can make them feel despondent and powerless and lose interest.
- Empower young learners. Help them feel they can make a change. See the lesson School Environment Audit, where they judge how eco-friendly their school is, and they make recommendations for improving it.