You will look at a graph to check information, watch a video for specific information and learn vocabulary on the topic of food and climate change.
They say the best way to save the planet is to change how we eat. What do you think the following are true or false?
- Eating beef has a bigger impact than eating vegetables.
- Eating farmed fish has a bigger impact than eating beef.
- Farming chickens causes is a bigger cause of climate change than farming cows.
Now look at the graph to check. The answers are also in the key at the bottom of the page.
While you watch
In the following video does the presenter say we should all become vegetarian? Watch and find out.
Check your understanding
After you’ve watched the video, decide if the following are true or false:
- The presenter is a vegetarian.
- Research shows that personal choices regarding what we eat can have a big impact on reducing climate change.
- 1 billion people could be fed with the food that goes to feeding livestock.
- There are farms in the U.S.A. experimenting with sustainable beef production.
- Reducing the amount of meat we consume to doctor-recommended levels could be the key to reducing climate change.
Put the words in the right space:
- When it comes to food, I’m a total ________.
- They study the connection between climate change and _______.
- What is needed for a single _______ of beef.
- __________ accounts for a lot of greenhouse gasses.
- What is ___________ is also good for the planet.
A. serving B. livestock C. sucker D. good for you E. diet
What do you think?
Go and speak to someone about the following, or post your views as a comment here.
- Do you think reducing meat consumption is the key to solving climate change?
- Who would lose out from people reducing meat consumption?
- What changes in our lifestyle do you think are reasonable to make?
Preparation 1. true, 2. false, 3. false
While you watch. No he doesn’t, although he suggests eating less meat and says the Mediterranean diet is particularly climate-friendly.
Check your understanding. 1. F, 2. T, 3. F, it’s 3.5 billion! 4. T, 5. T
Language point. 1. C, 2. E, 3. A, 4. B, 5. D