You will practice understanding advanced texts, vocabulary on the topic of climate change and increase understanding of an important issue.
What do you think the ‘sadness’ in the title refers to?
- the waste from throwing away old mobile phones
- the memories associated with your old mobile phone
- the environmental damage caused by mobile phones in their production, use and disposal
Guess which one, and watch the video to check if you are right. (Answers at bottom of page)
Check your understanding
Are the following true or false? How do you know?
- The presenter likes nature and and he likes technology.
- Most of the environmental damage caused by phones is caused when we throw them away.
- There is a company called Fairphone that makes phones that are easy to repair.
- The battery is the most toxic part of a phone.
- Liam the robot can take apart an iPhone 6 in 1 minute.
- New technology could reduce the environmental impact of phones.
(Answers at bottom of page)
Put the words in the right space.
- I love phones and computers. I’m a _______.
- A reason that the ___________ are so high is because of the fuel used to transport them around the world in production, assembly and distribution.
- Container ships cause more _______ than all the cars in the world.
- It is more common to _______ cars than phones.
- Lithium is a ______ component in batteries. It’s really bad for your health.
a. toxic b. greenhouse gas emissions c. repair d. smog e. techie
What do you think?
Go and speak to someone about the following, or post your views as a comment here.
- How can we reduce electronic waste?
- Who is responsible – individuals, corporations or the government?
- Will a technological solution come along or do we have to take responsibility?
Preparation Number 3 is the correct answer
Check your understanding 1. True. 2. False, it’s before we buy them. 3. True. 4 False; it’s 11 seconds. 5. True. 6. True
Language point 1.e 2.b 3.d 4.c 5.a